Tuesday, September 28, 2010

More foggy photos from the Alsea RIver

This first image is a simple one, but I like it for that reason. And the golden side lighting of the boats and water against the dark blue fog in the background added drama to the scene.

(Click on the images to see a larger view.)



The light creating patterns as it came through the vinyl windows is what caught my eye in the scene below. At first I narrowed the image to only those windows, but I liked the composition better when it was expanded to include additional area and elements.



This photo was taken using the warm yellow direct lighting to contrast the glow of the bridge against the bluish fog.

2 comments:

BeemerGirl said...

The darkness/shadow of the wake from the moving boat is what catches my eye a little more. But I like the pilings in the background when viewing the full size.

I agree with zooming in / focusing more on the light in the windows. The rest puts it in context, but makes the image busier. Do you believe in "enhancing" an image? What about making most of the image b/w and leaving the golden colors in the windows to be the focus?

I like the bridge and how half is focused and warm/yellow and the other half is still a little shrouded in mist and a little "hazy".

Nice images!!

Rob R Robinson said...

On enhancing an image, it's pretty much anything goes. Some images I will try to make look as close as possible to what I saw when taking the photo. Other times I like experimenting, even to the point of making a photograph look like a painting. (like in the image here: http://robrrobinson.blogspot.com/2010/04/albany-artists-exhibit.html)
To me, the final image is the important thing, not what tools I used to get there; more of an artistic mindset. Still, a lot of my photographs have only minor contrast or color adjustments. I have my painting and collage as other creative outlets.

I had thought about making the middle image a black & white, but liked those little touches of golden color to highlight it. Desaturating the blue to make it much more B&W would be an interesting thing to try.

Thanks Lori!