Friday, February 4, 2011

Landscape painting from a different perspective

For the past 30 years, I have been working with satellite imagery, primarily from Landsat satellites. These images provide wonderful views of the earth's landforms and USGS does a great job of making these images available.
The sight of one particular land area has become ingrained in my brain after seeing hundreds of images of it over the years. This place is Owens Lake in eastern California. During past years, I have made very little artwork related to my satellite image work and I decided recently to change that. I made a painted collage of Owens Lake using Landsat imagery as the source subject matter. Although the main landforms are visible, I did use artistic license in its presentation.


"Owens"

I have just finished a painting based on satellite imagery of another area. I'll add a photo of that one soon in another post.

No comments: